Acupuncture has very broad indications. The main function of acupuncture is to facilitate body restoring various balance.
1. Neuropsychiatric system. Stroke and sequelae, ischias, prosopalgia, facial paralysis, spinal disc herniation, various pain, Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s disease, migraine, insomnia, stress, depression, panic, anxiety, etc.
2. Respiratory system. Asthma, chronic bronchitis, common cold, acute upper respiratory tract infection, emphysema, quit smoking, airway allergy, etc.
3. Cardiovascular and blood system. This classification is a bit different from that in modern medical system. The reason is in Chinese medicine, “heart” takes charge of “blood”, they are a whole. When we treat heart problems, we usually use points which can activate blood circulation or make blood thinner; when we treat blood problems, we usually select points on heart meridians. Acupuncture is applicable for : coronary heart disease, essential hypertension, chronic arrhythmia, anemia, lower limb varicose veins,etc.
4. Digestive system. Gastroesophageal reflux disease, functional dyspepsia, chronic gastritis, inflammatory bowel disease (including UC and CD), functional constipation, irritable bowel syndrome, chronic fatty liver and alcoholism, chronic gall bladder inflammation, stones in liver-gall bladder tract, chronic pancreas inflammation, weight loss, etc.
5. Endocrine and metabolic system. Hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism, diabetic complications.
6. Urinary system. Chronic kidney dysfunction, stones in urinary tract, edema, etc.
7. Reproductive system. Impotence, premature ejaculation, irregular menstruation, menstrual colic, infertility, painless delivery, etc.
8. Movement system. Rheumatic diseases, tennis elbow, frozen shoulder, arthritis, achilles tendinitis, sport injuries, etc.
You can even find more diseases or conditions here which were recommended by World Health Organization (WHO).
1. Some infectious diseases. For severe infection, usually not use acupuncture in the infectious location. The exception is Pi needle is used to exclude out pus from furuncle or carbuncle.
2. Some bleeding diseases. Such as hemophilia.
3. Disease with unknown reasons. Should try to find out the cause first.